The most common roofing types that you will see on commercial buildings is a flat roof. The reason for this is that they are cost-effective, they are pretty easy to maintain, and they are durable. When people are deciding on a flat roofing system, the question that is asked the most is, “How long should a flat roof last?” This is all going to depend on what type of flat roof material is being used. Your typical commercial roofing like modified bitumen is going to last about 10 years, whereas single ply roofs last anywhere from 15 to 30+ years. The lifespan of a flat roof is very important, but there are things that should be considered when deciding on a flat roof. So what is the best material for a flat roof? Below is a list of flat roofing materials to look through and decide which one would fit your commercial property.
- Built Up Roofing: This type of commercial roof is made up of four layers of adhesive, asphalt, tar, and gravel, which is why they are sometimes called gravel or tar roofs. Built up roofing can last up to 20 years and costs anywhere from $5-$7 per square foot. These are pretty energy efficient roofs, that is waterproof and UV ray resistant. One of the great things about this roof is that it can withstand a lot of foot traffic and it doesn’t need a ton of maintenance. Something to think about is that the installation takes a long time, its heavy, and if this roof ends up leaking, it can be hard to find the leak.
- EPDM Roofing: An EPDM roof is a single ply roofing system that is also known as a rubber roof. This is a good roofing system that can last 10 to 15 years and costs around $4 to $7 per square foot. In regards to installation cost, this is going to be one of the more affordable flat roofs. Not only is it durable, but it is also waterproof, doesn’t require many repairs, and it’s pretty tough against leaks. While it is tough against leaks, if there are pipes or other systems on the roof, those areas can leak. And although this roof is durable can withstand wind and fire, it isn’t recommended that it be walked on a lot.
- Modified Bitumen: This is another type of roof that consists of many roofing layers, all of which are torched down, but they can also be cold adhered, hot adhered, and adhered if needed. This roof typically only lasts 10 years, but when properly taken care of, it can last up to 20. The cost of this particular materials going to be anywhere between $3 to $6 per square foot, making it a pretty affordable commercial roofing option. A modified bitumen roof is loved by many people for a lot of reasons including its ease and cost of installation, how durable it is, that its recyclable, and is pretty flexible. Because of how it’s installed, it does need to be installed by someone who knows what they are doing. Also, if the roof has to be applied with a torch, safety needs to be a concern.
- PVC Roofing: One of the most popular types of single ply roofs is PVC roofing. They are considered a thermoplastic roof, that the roof is a type of plastic. A lot of people ask, “How long do PVC roofs last?” and the answer is that they can last up to 30 years. In terms of cost, commercial property owners are going to be paying $7 to $10 per square of this roofing system. It is absolutely one of the most durable roofing systems and it is also strong, chemical, wind, and fire resistant, as well as being waterproof. The biggest drawback with this type of roofing is that is it more expensive than most flat roofing systems.
- Spray Coat: If you are looking for a roofing system that can last up to 20 years and can be sprayed right on to your current roof, you can’t go wrong with spray roofing. There are different types of spray roofing such as acrylic, elastomeric, polyurea, and silicone. Acrylic is going to be the least expensive one, whereas silicone will be the most expensive. Where most roofs have seams, this type of roof doesn’t, so it is considered seamless. Installation is so easy that a roofer will be able to install it in a day. Commercial property owners should be aware that it can be more expensive, but it will depend on what type of spray coating you choose.
- TPO Roofing: One of the other single ply roofing systems that people love is TPO roofing. This type of roof can last up to 20 years when properly taken care of and only costs $5 to $9 per square foot. What makes this such a great roof is that it is energy-efficient, comes in a range of colors, they are easy to install, and they are durable. Because TPO roofing is still a relatively new flat roof material, manufacturers still have to work out issues along the way. With this kind of roof, you will want someone who has installed this roof before.
Flat Roof Repair and Restoration
When a flat roof is giving a commercial property owner issues, many people want to know if they should get flat roof repair or replace it. There are a couple of reasons why a flat roof would need to be replaced instead of getting flat roof repair, which is it’s beyond its lifespan, it has several leaks, or it’s been damaged due to a severe storm or lack of maintenance. The reason that so many people want to opt for flat roof repair over flat roof replacement is that repairs are going to be cheaper. This will also be based on how big the roof is, what material is being used, and what the cost of the material and installation. Other times if you are in a position where your flat roof needs repairs or a replacement, one of the other options might be a flat roof restoration. This is really only an option when the roof isn’t too damaged or old, but with roof restoration, it can restore and even protect your current roof without having to tear it off or add new materials to repair it. When people ask, “How do you repair a hole in a flat roof?” or “How do you stop a leaking roof?” These things can be stopped with a simple flat roof restoration. Or if a leak or hole in the roof is too big, then we will use flat roof repair materials to fix it. Again, if a restoration or repair isn’t a viable option, a replacement will have to do.
Just like you wouldn’t call anyone but a St. Louis plumbing company when you have a plumbing issue, when you are having issues with your flat roof and you need flat roof repair in St. Louis, MO, please call Conner Roofing at 314-375-7475 for affordable and effective services.